Ricardo Campos Freire is a Dancer and Choreographer born in Lisbon, Portugal, and educated at Superior Dance School in Lisbon and Stockholm University of the Arts.
Starting out as a dancer with the Portuguese Company of Contemporary Dance, he also went on to perform with Croatian National Theatre, Bitef Dance Company, Ballet Hagen, and Pfalztheater Kaiserslautern working with choreographers such as Mauro Bigonzetti, Patrick Delcroix, James Sutherland, Cayetano Soto, Vasco Wellenkamp, Marco Goecke, Masa Kolar, Sagí Gross, Ricardo Fernando, being distinguished in 2015 as the best dancer of the year with the Smiljana Mandukic award in Belgrade, Serbia.
In 2011 created the duet Mundo meu for the Portuguese Company of Contemporary Dance and in 2012 choreographed Fallback and In Two for DLWorks. In 2014 created the solo U meni, winning the Audience Award and Special Mention at XVIII Festival of Choreographic Miniatures ‒ Belgrade, being presented the following year as a guest choreographer with the pieces In between and Inverted Image. Inserted in the project Tanzlabor, created Apart for Ballet Hagen in 2016 and Unstable ground in 2017. Also in 2017 his piece Apart was chosen to be part of the 31st international competition for choreographers in Hannover and created Clash and Outsider for the company Korea Youth Ballet Stars in Seoul. In 2018, under de project Choreo Lab, created Impressions of Myself for the Croatian National Theatre - Rijeka.
Guest artist with Tanzkompanie bo komplex, Yen Han Ballet Productions, DAF (Dance Arts Faculty), Choreoloop, Companhia Poveira Nós da Dança, WestDeutsches Tanztheater, and Pfalztheater Kaiserslautern, Ricardo has been developing his work in South Korea, Italy, Croatia, Switzerland, Serbia, Germany, USA, Bósnia and Herzegovina, Portugal, Montenegro, Vietnam, and Sweden.
2019 - Freelance Dancer and Choreographer
2018 - 2019 Pfalztheater Kaiserslautern, Kaiserslautern, Germany | Director . James Sutherland
2017 - 2018 Croatian National Theatre, Rijeka, Croatia | Director . Maša Kolar
2015 - 2017 Ballet Hagen, Hagen, Germany | Director . Ricardo Fernando
2013 - 2014 Bitef Dance Company, Belgrade, Serbia | Director . Jelena Kajgo
2013 Croatian National Theatre, Rijeka, Croatia | Director . Ronald Savković
2008 - 2012 Portuguese Company of Contemporary Dance, Lisbon, Portugal | Director . Vasco Wellemkamp and Liliana Mendonça
Projects and Collaborations
- 2022 Created the piece A procura do instante for Companhia Poveira Nós da Dança. Póvoa do Varzim, Portugal
- 2022 Guest dancer in "Nimm Platz!" by Diana Wöhrl with Choreoloop. Augsburg, Germany
- 2022 Guest dancer in n-e-t-w-o-r-k-i-n-g by Elisabeth Kindler-Abali with animi motus e. V. at CounterPulse. San Francisco, USA
- 2022 Created the piece For those who can hear me for DAF (Dance Arts Faculty). Rome, Italy
- 2021 Guest dancer in Deals with God by Julia Maria Koch at the 28th Cairo International Festival for Experimental Theatre. Berlin / Cairo, Germany / Egypt
- 2021 Choreographer & Producer of the project Indirect Bond with Melanie Lopez Lopez, Davide Degano, Tiana Lara Hogan, and Péter Daniel Matkaicsek. Sponsored by Stipendienprogramm 2021 des Ministeriums für Kultur und Wissenschaft des Landes Nordrhein-Westfalen.
- 2021 Flowing Identity Workshop at TanzXchange. Münster, Germany
- 2021 Created the piece Us for Yen Han Ballet Productions. Zurich, Switzerland
- 2021 Guest dancer in 77Beethoven by Bärbel Stenzenberger and Olaf Reinecke, with Tanzkompanie bo komplex. Bonn, Germany
- 2021 Solo dancer in Pierrot Lunaire by Jozsef Hajzer at KunstFestPASSAGEN. Menden, Germany
- 2021 Guest dancer in the Third Choice by Sagí Gross, with WestDeutsches Tanztheater. Hagen, Germany
- 2021 Guest performer in a Film Project by Davide Degano. Udine, Italy
- 2021 Guest dancer in Sentilo by Diana Wöhrl with Choreoloop. Augsburg, Germany
- 2021 Guest dancer in Tartini's Sonatas by Yen Han with Yen Han Ballet Productions. Zurich, Switzerland
- 2021 Created the piece La bellezza del Niente for DAF (Dance Arts Faculty). Rome, Italy
- 2021 Film Project by Sagí Gross with WestDeutsches Tanztheater. Hagen, Germany
2021 Residency project with Choreoloop. Regen, Germany
2020 Guest dancer in moneypulation by Elisabeth Kindler-Abali with the company animi motus e. V.. Berlin, Germany
2020 Guest dancer in The Solitude of Memory by Sagí Gross with WestDeutsches Tanztheater. Hagen, Germany
2019 Guest dancer in Sacre by James Sutherland with Pfalztheater Kaiserslautern. Kaiserslautern, Germany
2019 Guest Dancer in Multidimensional by Huy Tien Tran at Hanoi Dance Fest. Hanoi, Vietnam
2019 Benefiz-Ballet-Gala Theater Lüneburg with Unavoidable. Lüneburg, Germany
2015 Danced the duet Trijada by Maša Kolar. Zagreb, Croatia
2015 Guest dancer in Prokleta Avlija by Dana Ruttenberg with the Serbian National Theatre. Belgrade, Serbia
2013 Ballet master responsible for re-staging Patrick's Delcroix État d'âme for Croatian National Theatre. Rijeka, Croatia
2012 Danced the duet Entre Nós, choreographer Benvindo Fonseca. Lisbon, Portugal
2008 Stockholm University of the Arts, Stockholm, Sweden
2005 - 2008 Superior Dance School - Graduate Degree in Dance, Lisbon, Portugal